- THE CLOUDBEDS PLATFORM
- Case Studies
A hotel invoice is a document issued to guests outlining all of the transactions associated with a reservation, including room rates, payments, adjustments, and any incidentals charged back to the room.
An invoice is usually presented at the beginning of the guest’s stay and at the time of check-out to summarize all charged, paid, and due balances. The invoice serves as a legal agreement between the guest and the hotel. It differs from a receipt in that a receipt represents a closed sale, while an invoice can be presented to a guest as a notification of funds due and be paid at a later date.
Invoices can be printable and provided to guests in person or sent by email, through SMS or messenger, or all of the above based on local legislation requirements and guest preferences.
Regardless of your hotel business, your template should include the following fields.
1) Collect guest contact information. Collect necessary information directly from guests or pull reservation details from your PMS system.
2) Add any additional charges to the hotel bill. All incurred charges, including mini-bar consumption, restaurant & bar charges, pet fees, airport transfers, and early check-in, should be added and itemized by the date incurred.
3) Charge payment. The payment may include an incidentals deposit to cover additional expenses charged to the room during the guest’s stay.
4) Generate the invoice. Download template and make a copy with all the necessary information before printing and sending it by email or messenger.
1) Create a detailed invoice that can be delivered to hotel guests via multiple methods in case they don’t want to visit the Front Desk upon check-in or check-out.
2) Ensure that invoices can be created individually in case guests who travel together want separate invoices. Split Folio features can be helpful in generating separate invoices.
3) If you have documented agreements with business organizations to provide service to their staff or clients, ensure you can transfer guest charges to be paid by the guest’s company or other sponsoring organizations.
4) Invest in invoicing software to automate and simplify your bookkeeping process. Many properties rely on Excel and other spreadsheets for invoice creation; however, large and small businesses should utilize technology to improve financial reporting and deliver a more seamless guest experience.
Free hotel invoice template! We’ve created a hotel invoice template available as a printable PDF and Google Sheets for hotel owners.
Want to automate your invoice process instead? With the Cloudbeds Hospitality Platform, properties can easily generate invoices and connect to various Marketplace partners for detailed financial reporting and accounting functionality.
Get our new posts sent right to your email inbox.