Top Online Travel Agencies
Based on Cloudbeds’ data gathered from thousands of customer properties, we’ve seen an immense recovery in revenue generated from OTA bookings in comparison to 2020. As we approach the midpoint of 2022, hotel revenue has almost surpassed the entirety of 2021 and is predicted to outperform 2019, signaling that the demand for travel has returned. Below are the highest revenue-generating OTAs for 2021.
Top 10 highest revenue-generating OTAs worldwide
1. Booking.comBooking.com is one of the largest and most popular travel websites in the world, with over 1.5 million nights booked every day. Its website and mobile apps are accessible in 43 languages and feature over 50 million verified guest reviews of properties in 200+ countries. Its parent company, Booking Holdings, includes OTA brands and metasearch engines such as Priceline.com, KAYAK, Agoda, Rentalcars.com, OpenTable and more.
2. ExpediaExpedia.com is the flagship brand of Expedia Group, which includes 200 travel booking websites, including Hotwire, Orbitz, Trivago, and Travelocity, serving 75 countries in 35 languages with over 600 million monthly visits. The website includes searches for all types of accommodations, as well as flights, car rentals, cruises, and vacation packages. By activating the Expedia connection, properties will broadcast their inventory on Hotels.com, Wotif, and many other channels.
3. AirbnbAirbnb is known for providing access to unique accommodations around the world, with the vast majority of properties located outside of main hotel districts. While the company continues to expand into hotel room inventory following its acquisition of HotelTonight (known for booking last-minute lodging), its community expects a certain type of experience. Namely, something that is less cookie-cutter and more oriented to the local vibe.
4. HostelworldHostelWorld is a leading OTA for hostel-focused accommodations worldwide with 12+ million guest reviews. Their inventory also includes hotels, B&Bs, and other budget accommodation types. Hostelworld aims to be a leader in social travel via its online booking options and mobile app, addressing the needs of guests who want to make connections with others as they experience the world around them. Their app and website operate in 20 different languages.
5. AgodaAgoda was founded in 1998 and later acquired by the Priceline Group (now called Booking Holdings) in 2007. Agoda’s website is available in 38 languages and focuses on listing all types of properties. It’s currently one of the leading online travel booking sites for the Asian market but is pushing into the US, India, and European markets
6. VrboWith over 2 million bookable vacation rentals, Vrbo connects homeowners with families and vacationers looking for something more than a hotel for their trip.
7. HotelbedsBy connecting to Hotelbeds, your property will gain unrivaled exposure to the world’s travel trade including more than 3,500 Tour Operators, over 65,000 Travel Agents, 40+ Airlines, Loyalty Programs/Employee Points Plans, and OTA’s.
8. Trip.comTrip.com is China’s leading provider of travel services including reservations for accommodation, transportation, tours, and corporate travel. Founded in 1999, the company owns and operates several other OTAs, including Trip.com, Skyscanner, Qunar, and Ctrip.
9. Despegar / DecolarDespegar/Decolar is a leading online travel company in Latin America, with Despegar functioning as the global brand and Decolar representing the brand in the Brazilian market. Their marketplace operates across 20 markets and offers a broad suite of travel products in the region, including airfare, hotel bookings, travel packages, and other travel products to a large customer base.
10. TravelokaBased in Indonesia, Traveloka is one of Asia’s largest online travel agents. Traveloka lists hundreds of thousands of properties across Southeast Asia, Australia, and around the globe. The company also provides lifestyle products and services, such as tickets to attractions, activities, car rental, and restaurant vouchers.
Highest revenue-generating OTAs by country
Based on Cloudbeds data, we’ve highlighted the OTAs that are generating the most revenue for our customers in leading travel destinations.
Google Hotel Search is slowly climbing the ranks as one of the top-performing channels across several different countries, while Airbnb has skyrocketed in popularity regardless of country. Agoda, a major channel for the Asian market, leads in revenue across Thailand and the Philippines.
Top 10 Online Travel Agencies USA
- Google Hotel Search
Top 10 Online Travel Agencies Canada
- Google Hotel Search
Top 10 Online Travel Agencies Mexico
- Despegar / Decolar
- Mr & Mrs Smith
Top 10 Online Travel Agencies Spain
- Booking. com
Top 10 Online Travel Agencies in Other Countries
Learn more about the top revenue-generating OTAs around the world in our Big Book of OTAs, including:
- Top 10 Online Travel Agencies Portugal
- Top 10 Online Travel Agencies UK
- Top 10 Online Travel Agencies Brazil
- Top 10 Online Travel Agencies Colombia
- Top 10 Online Travel Agencies Australia
- Top 10 Online Travel Agencies Philippines
- Top 10 Online Travel Agencies Thailand
Highest niche revenue-generating OTAs
What are niche OTAs?
Niche OTAs are online travel agencies catering to specific audiences. Many niches exist today, including OTAs for skiers, campers or glampers, adventure travelers, luxury travelers, and more.
Independent hotels can maximize on the value niche OTAs offer as they are usually built to target more specific guest segments. Once you identify what guest segments make sense for your property, you can look into local partnerships to expand your offerings to provide a more tailored experience and get listed on niche OTAs. For example, if you have a property close to the beach, you can find local surf instructors to partner with and offer lessons through your booking engine to attract surfers. When the guests check-in, you can show them where the best surf is in town to improve the guest experience.
After a guest’s first trip is booked through a niche OTA, the guest will likely forego OTAs for their next trip in favor of booking directly on the hotel website. Niche OTAs are an essential part of any property’s online distribution strategy as they build loyalty and encourage direct bookings.
In the niche OTA market, many new channels have emerged over the past few years, especially surf & sport OTAs and luxury OTAs.
Highest niche revenue-generating OTAs | Surf & Sports
Surf tourism has been popularized across 93 countries, and prior to the pandemic, a population of 35 million surfers spent more than $32 billion USD annually surfing abroad. Travelers are looking for more outdoor experiences, and seek out properties that cater to their needs. Today, the top-revenue generating Surf & Sport OTAs include:
Thermal: offers a handpicked collection of the best surf trips in the world, with a focus on amazing guides who create one-of-a-kind, authentic experiences.
Good Story: has an inventory of surf hotels and internationally recognized surf schools and camps for both novice and experienced surfers.
Surf Holidays: provides unique places to stay with quality local surf instruction to deliver the surf holiday of a lifetime on some of the best breaks in the world.
Luex Surf & Snow Travel: connects travelers with operators/suppliers of once-in-a-lifetime sports travel experiences and products.
KiteSurfHolidays.com: specializes in kitesurfing holidays, including accommodations and kitesurfing schools.
Highest niche revenue-generating OTAs | Luxury
The global luxury travel ecosystem is valued at $1.54 trillion USD, with $1.4 trillion being spent on lodging and airfare. During the pandemic, households around the world amassed an extra $5.4 trillion in savings as consumers curtailed spending on recreation, travel, dining, and entertainment. This excess in savings and increased desire for travel has led to consumers booking more luxury vacations as most of the world’s travel restrictions have been lifted. Expedia found that 40% of travelers are more willing than ever to splurge on future travels, and 32% plan to visit a bucket-list destination. The following OTAs cater to travelers looking for luxury accommodations:
Mr & Mrs Smith: includes a collection of carefully curated hotels that are first anonymously evaluated and visited by staff. This exclusive OTA works on an invitation-only basis.
Prestigia: is made up of hand-selected quality and unique hotels from all over the world. This OTA offers the best price guarantees, promotions, and exclusive offers.
icastelli.net: luxurious, historical, and unique high-level hotels are the property types found on this OTA. Collections include exclusive boutique hotels, golf hotels, spa hotels, and more.
i-escape: provides unforgettable travel experiences, including eco-retreats, safari lodges, and boutique hotels. Also included is an award-winning booking system with a direct dialogue between guests and property and free advice from travel consultants.
Tablet Hotels: the official hotel selection of the MICHELIN Guide. This OTA showcases hotels that provide meaningful experiences to guests, regardless of budget.
Spotlight | LGBTQIA+ OTAS
The global LGBTQIA+ market is valued at over $200 billion USD annually. While many countries have become increasingly welcoming to the queer community, discrimination is still prevalent today. OTAs like ebab and misterb&b have emerged to offer safe and friendly accommodations to the LGBTQIA+ community.
Most popular channel connections by property type
Our data shows that while the top global OTAs dominate across almost all property types, there are certain channels that emerge in popularity across specific property types.
Channels such as Hostelworld have traditionally been popular for searching for hostels, while channels such as Vrbo and Airbnb have traditionally catered to vacation rentals. However, we’ve seen that our hotel customers are increasingly adopting Airbnb as part of their channel mix. Airbnb welcomes hotels that have a unique, independent environment and style.
Download our Big Book of OTAs to see the list of the five most popular channel connections by property type, including:
- Most popular channel connections for Hotels & Boutiques
- Most popular channel connections for Hostels
- Most popular channel connections for Vacation Rentals
- Most popular channel connections for Bed & Breakfasts
The Big Book of OTAs
- Recipe for ideal channel mix
- Top performing OTAs in your region
- Directory of 75+ OTAs